Please enter a search term.
Every pet is brave in his\her own way, but a few, just go up and above. We are thus writing an introduction to their victory. A tribute to our pet's bravery.
A few weeks ago Bill, an 8-week old puppy, was presented to the hospital with vomiting, diarrhoea, inappetence and not his normal, bright bubbly self. His owners were very worried about how quickly he seemed to be deteriorating and brought him into the clinic. Dr Raiyan suspected Parvovirus and after completing a test, the results revealed Bill was parvo positive.
Bill was immediately admitted to hospital to receive intensive treatment from the team. This included intravenous fluid therapy, antibiotics, antiemetics and antacids for supportive therapy. After a few days in the hospital with treatment, lots of TLC and sooo much bravery, Bill started to feel better. Once he was eating and drinking again and was able to keep everything down with no vomiting, Bill was ready to go home and be reunited with his family!
Bill is one lucky puppy, parvovirus can be fatal and we urge all owners to keep their pups up to date with all their vaccinations and to not walk their puppy until they have had their final puppy vaccination.
Molly came in for her annual vaccinations. While performing her full health examination, Dr Raiyan examined Molly's teeth and found her to have grade 3 dental disease.
Luna the little French Bulldog had an eventful day �� Whilst practising safe social distancing, she was
playing in the garden when she discovered a bee! It seemed to be a fun game to chase the bee but
unfortunately, Luna found out Bee stings are painful and can sometimes swell!
Luna’s face swelled up very quickly and her owners called the clinic and brought her straight in to
see Dr Raiyan who gave her an anti-histamine injection and some additional tablets to counteract
Luna is now feeling much better and hopefully won’t play with bees anymore.
Bee stings can be quite serious as any swelling of the face can obstruct the airway which
can affect breathing. Additionally like people, some pets can also have an anaphylactic reaction to
bee stings. For this reason, it is imperative to consult a veterinarian straight away.
J was brought to our clinic one afternoon because her owner was concerned that she seemed bloated and uncomfortable in her abdomen. J had not eaten breakfast that morning which is not like her, and her last meal was a kangaroo tail bone that was purchased for her from the butcher. On physical examination, Dr Raiyan noticed that she was very tense on abdominal palpation, and her abdomen seemed distended on one side. J was sedated and x-rays were performed. The x-rays showed that J’s stomach was completely distended with gas and bone pieces could be seen at the junction between the stomach and the start of her intestinal tract. It was highly likely that J chewed on the bones which caused an intestinal blockage and this led to secondary gas build up in the stomach, which is known as gastric dilation. While she was sedated, a tube was passed through her mouth and into her stomach to relieve the pressure build-up but this was not successful. It was imperative J be taken for emergency abdominal surgery because gastric dilation can quickly turn into a GDV (gastric dilation and volvulus). This is a life-threatening condition where the distended stomach (along with the spleen and sometimes pancreas) twists around inside the abdomen, which causes the blood supply to these organs to be disrupted. These leads the animals to go into shock due to the reduced blood supply. It also causes a build-up of toxic products which can directly affect the heart. J was placed on intravenous fluids to help maintain her blood pressure during surgery and also flush any toxic products that may have started to build up in her bloodstream. Nurse Sam prepped J for surgery and she was moved into the surgical theatre. J was placed on surgical monitors to monitor temperature, respiration, heart rate, pulse and blood pressure. Dr Raiyan performed the surgery. She was successful in relieving the gas build up in her stomach, followed by performing a gastrotomy which is when an incision is made into the stomach, to remove a foreign body. In J’s case, multiple broken bone pieces were removed as seen in the picture! After one hour, surgery was completed and J was moved into our ICU ward for recovery. The next day, J was looking much brighter,
There’s not a lot that comes between Monte the miniature poodle and his brother Hunter the
Staffy... But food or especially bones can certainly divide the boys. Last weekend Monte and Hunter
had a bit of a tiff which is the last thing his owner expected. Monte sustained the most injuries and
was immediately rushed to the hospital. Amongst wounds to his face, eyes and ears, Monte also
had a broken jaw ☹ He was admitted to hospital and given fluid therapy for the shock, pain relief
Once Monte was stabilised, x-rays were performed to establish the best course of action for a
treatment plan. Monte was scheduled for surgery to have his jaw wired for
repair. We are pleased Monte is making a full recovery! Postoperatively he is receiving anti-
inflammatories and antibiotics while his wounds heal and the bone repairs. Monte is enjoying lots of
TLC at home and soft food to avoid any discomfort when eating. He will need to return for more
surgery for the wire to be removed in 6 to 8 weeks.
In light of Montes injuries, we urge clients that dogs can be protective over food or toys. Owners
should be mindful that even the best of mates can have an argument when food or toys are
involved. Remember to feed dogs separately or remove any objects that may cause fights between
dogs. Dog fight injuries are serious and require medical attention even when they seem minor.
Wounds that are left with no treatment often become infected and if left untreated, can cause a pet
to go into septic shock which is fatal.
© Copyright 2020. All rights reserved.
Griffith Veterinary Hospital
16 Donaldson Street, Griffith